Tuesday, June 21, 2005

New Developments...

Okay, so there are a lot of new developments. I survived moving, that's a big one. Life with Amy is great, I'm not sure why we didn't move in together earlier. Well, yes, I am, actually, but that's another story altogether. That's the good new development.
The not so good one is that I've been laid off. My company cut about a fourth of their positions, and mine was one of the cut ones. So... I'm unemployed. Yup. I think I'm dealing with it fairly well, for the most part. I've been playing a lot of Diablo 2 and GTA: Vice City. I've even gotten out of the house a couple of times, just walking through the neighborhood or a park (there are several pretty good ones locally.) But, mostly, I've been playing video games. And trying not to feel like a loser. But mostly the video games.
I downloaded a hero and item editor for D2, and made a couple of cheat characters that are kinda fun, but mostly I've played with my non-cheated characters. My Vice City game is coming along quite nicely (mental note: must remember to thank Phil effusively for throwing in VC when he sold me the PS2.) So, here I am, in front of my computer, like I have been most days for the past 2 weeks-ish, but I decided to do something semi-productive this time. And typing out a blog is nicely semi-productive.
I'm not really unhappy about the loss of my job, as it was just a paycheck to me anyhow. I plan to take some classes, since I have the time and the state of California will pay for them. I'm thinking I'll go into the health care field, start off with CNA certification and go from there, since if I'm working at a hospital, they will pay the tuition and I can schedule my shifts around classes (because there's really no way I will want to stay a CNA, I know that already.)
I suppose, in truth, that I am slightly down because of the job loss. It doesn't make sense to me, because even though I didn't always hate the job, I really really did a good bit of the time. I just can't understand why it's bugging me so much. Maybe it's that we're all programmed from a young age that productive members of society get up in the morning and go to a job of some kind, and the people that don't do that (with the exception of those that can't) are bad people, criminals, losers, scum, etc. Maybe that's it. I do feel better when I do something during the day, something more than just wait around for stuff to happen (right now I'm waiting for my form letter that says "Congratulations, you get roughly half of what you were getting before, good luck making ends meet." When that comes, I can call someone there and have them look up the training info for me, because I gave up on the website after 2 hours. No, I'm not kidding...)
Anyway, I'm sure I'll be fine. I've lived off unemployment before, and did fine for 3 months with no severance and no money in the bank. This time, I have both those things, so I'm sure I'll make it. I also have good references, since I left on good terms (as opposed to being fired the last time around, long story, and I'm not going into it here.) So, I'll make it. I've just got to figure out something else to do all day. Either that or get some new video games...

No comments: