Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Livin' La Vista Loca

Didja hear? Probably, because you've been on the Internet more than I have since Friday. Well, bah to you.

So, Microsoft has announced their newest operating system, Windows Vista. I'm happy "Longhorn" has a name, but "?" Really?

I'll let Justin get into the tech plusses and minuses if he wants (as he's vastly more qualified to comment there) or you can just click the links in the posts (or check out Scoble or someone else in the Computers section of the blogroll).

However, I will criticize the name.

No sir, I don't like it.

It sounds hokey. Not unlike Mac OS X Tiger, which has an even dumber name. I liked the old names, which sounded less like they came from marketing and more like they were meant to...oh, I don't know...run a computer.

Actually, I've got a great idea. For the next generation of operating systems, let's try to make the craziest names possible. Some ideas:

Windows "You're Going to Use It Anyway"
Mac OS "We're Phoning It In Here, but Check out the iPod!"
Linux "Sminux"

Just food for thought...

(By the way, I'm sure Vista will be excellent. I just had to comment on the funky name.)

No comments: