Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Just a Thought...

This is a piggyback off of a post I read today on the Progressive Christian Movement blog. They don't post often, but when they do, it's quite good (and they're from the Columbus area). They definitely have the right idea. Read it before reading on...

I don't get it.

I am a Christian.

I read the Bible.

Apparently, I didn't get the memo.

You see, to be a in the United States apparently means that you must condemn everyone who believes even a wee bit differently than you.

I'm not saying I agree with everyone's point of view, nor do I believe that "everyone has it right" or anything like that. I do believe that everyone has a right to believe how they wish, to act how they wish to act, and to have sex with whomever they want.

I also am completely against hate of any kind. I don't care if its race, color, sex, creed, nationalily, sexual orientation, or whether or not the person enjoys football, they should have the same opportunities and rights as everyone else.

Now, why is it that groups (in the name of God, no less) proceed to spread the message of hate against homosexuals, African-Americans, leadership of other countries (Pat Robertson, I'm talking about you), etc?

It's about money and power. People have given them their money, so now they have power. With said power, they will tell you who to blame for everything that's wrong with this country. They'll tell you that the gay couple next door, the liberal judge or professor, or the woman who was raped and got an abortion are at fault. They're the enemy.

They won't tell you about the bills you won't be able to pay because you've given them more money than you really have. They won't tell you about the millions of dollars they have in the bank that buys them anything they want while you struggle to put food on your table. They won't say anything that might actually take money from them or their cause and place it somewhere else.

As long as you drink the Kool-Aid and don't think for yourself, they will be right. As long as you read the Bible the way they tell you to, they'll be right. But try something for me - read the New Testament for yourself (particularly the Gospels). You know the one, the one that the entire foundation of is built on. Cite specifically where Jesus says that you should deny the rights of others because they disagree with your way of life.

I believe you'll have trouble coming up with something. While you're reading, check out what Jesus had to say on the Pharisees. I believe that you'll see some interesting parallels with current leadership, both religious and secular.

But hey, I didn't get the memo.

/rant

I'd like to remind everyone that I respect the opinions of everyone out there, so long as they are not preaching hate. Those that "flame" this post will be given the appropriate response. If you don't like it, tell me - but be polite. Also, please remember that I'm not talking about all churches, just those that seem to have other motives than preaching the Word.

No comments: