Thursday, September 15, 2005

Katrina Relief Event #2

Last night, PokerStars and Wil Wheaton hosted the second Hurricane Katrina relief event. It was a tremendously fun event, with over $29,000 from 738 players going to the Red Cross.

Oh, and by the way...I got to play with Wil Wheaton!

Well...for like 5 minutes.

I was a little starstruck, but played good enough poker to not look silly. I came to the table with a good stack (my recollection is sketchy - I've got to take physical notes) and playing rather well. I did get into one pot with Wil, which consisted of us going to the flop, me betting and him folding. Then I got to go to another table, where (after quite a while) I met my end. More on that in a moment.

Last night was a pretty good night for the debut of Team RandomHumans. Justin (randomjustin), Josh (Blackrose13), and myself (RandomSam) all played in the tournament. Justin finished 215th, I finished 35th, and Josh finished 21st! Josh put up his report here.

The one "not great" thing about last night is that Justin and I were seated at the same table to start! Ack! We did OK staying out of any major pots together, although (as per usual) we didn't shy away from confrontation. You've got to treat the game with respect and all that. It was odd to be playing with Justin online seeing as how we play every week in our regular game.

I also finished my supply of limeade last night. Very sad. I'll have to pick up more at the store.

Overall, an excellent evening that came to an end when my pocket eights lost to ace-jack when their ace paired on the turn.

Remember, Hurricane Katrina relief tournaments continue tonight and tomorrow, with the $50 and $100 buy-in events. Those are a little rich for my bankroll, but rumor has it that Josh may represent the team in one of those events. Stay tuned to BlackroseWorld for that.

Our regular game is tonight at Justin's. It will be nice to play some live poker after being online the last three nights.

Until next time...

No comments: