Thursday, March 02, 2006

A "Poker Champ" Falls...

Last night on PokerStars, an "invitational" tournament of sorts was held. From Wes (Boobie Lover):

"Poker Champ is getting a lot of publicity from the blogosphere recently. Mostly this is due to his audacious tone, grammar, and liberal use of derogatory terms and phrases. One of the most outlandish things he has said is that there are no female poker players that can play worth a damn.

So what a better way to showcase his playing ability than to have him go up against fellow female bloggers? I've set up a tournament on Pokerstars for this to occur."


As I'm not female, I sweated this tournament while working on some other things online. From Maudie's blog:

"Mrs. BadBlood, Joanne, Gracie and myself played with the lone male challenger with a gaggle of railbirds chirping away on the sidelines."

"Then there was The Hand - three remaining - me, Joanne and him, I had nearly 5k in chips, blinds at 75/150, I had QsTs. I'm first to act and raise up to 600 to go. That guy calls, Joanne folds. Flop comes 2h Ks 8h. He checks and I attempt to steal the pot with a bet of 700. He pushed for 1010.

I had nothing but a backdoor flush draw and a froggy straight sketch. I knew he'd paired the King at least. BUT - it was a paltry 310 for me to call - nearly 10 to 1 the pot offerings, if I've done the math correctly (and we all know how stellar I am at that). So I said what the hey, and tossed the 310 in. A spade landed on the turn, and I thought, ooooo, let's have another. And, sure enough, another came.

I knocked the guy out with a runner, runner suckout. It wasn't until a few hands later when I glanced at the chat from the railbirds that I had to open up the hand history to look at the hand - yup, I knocked him out with a suckout flush alright - a runner-runner-straight-flush to be precise. Der... I didn't catch it when it happened."

It was quite beautiful. (Suckout like a champion today!*) Tequila Mom (Poker Champ's screen name on 'Stars - wierd isn't it - you should see his avatar) was trapping with the short stack on nothing but top pair. When you push like that, you can't expect a fold, so you have to just take whatever comes. I personally don't see trapping there. You protect your hand with aggression and if you get called, so be it.

Dave Westbay has a screen shot here.

Pants.

Congratulations to Joanne for winning the tournament! I leave you with a few words from her, posted before the tournament at CardSquad:

"I'll be honest - I don't want to play. I have no desire to give this person a moment of my time and he certainly doesn't deserve any recognition that may come from this. I have nothing to prove to myself, and regardless of the outcome I don't honestly believe that he will see anything in a different light. That said, I am too stubborn to stay away and will show up at the time of the game and do what I do.

What I do believe in is this - race, sex, age, and religion do not affect anyone's ability at the poker table. I also believe that women shouldn't be treated the way that they are described deep within his archives, and I will personally be donating (and doubling) any of my winnings to my local battered women's shelter.

That is why I am doing this.

If you want to donate as well, please contact me through this email link."

(For the record, I'm tossing in a donation. If you want, email Joanne for more info.)

*If you were there last night or read "Poker Champ," you'll get this.

Tags:

No comments: