Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Thinking about Poker...

So, I'm signed up to play in the World Blogger Championship of Online Poker or at Least Those Bloggers that Signed Up and Didn't Miss the Memo and Who Just Happen to Have a PokerStars Account on Sunday. (Seriously, the name for this thing does NOT roll off of the tongue.) I need to prepare, but I'm not sure how.

I haven't played online poker in weeks, save a few random hands in the cash games. I can't play in the WWdN, because Tuesdays are no longer good for me. Methinks that I should try some big tournaments on 'Stars, but I'm not sure what time I'm going to have. I have been playing solidly in our home games, with a 1st, 2nd, and 4th the last three weeks. So my question is...

Can I get by with home game practice against a decidedly random field of good, bad, and horrendous poker players in the WBCOPLTBSUDMMWJHHPA?

I don't really know. On the one hand, I'm pretty refreshed when it comes to online poker. I have no real expectations regarding my play because I'm not sure where I am with my online game at this very moment. I'm also making good reads and trusting them in our home game, and I'm mostly getting my money in with the best hand. Trusting your reads is essential, so I'm ahead there.

On the other hand, online poker is a different beast. There's a skill set there that you must use more than you do offline. You have to recognize betting patterns. There are no facial expressions and chip tricks to look at, so the betting patterns are key. While I'm doing well there offline, I don't know if I'm up to par for the online world.

So what am I going to do?

I still don't know. Any suggestions?

No comments: