Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Aquamacs 1.5 and TRAMP 2.1.14

I was having some difficulty using tramp in Aquamacs. Aquamacs is a port of GNU Emacs to the Mac OSX Aqua UI, and tramp is an Emacs module that allows you to edit remote files. Specifically, I need to use tramp's /multi method to ssh to a remote machine, then sudo to edit the file I was interested in. Tramp comes with the standard Aquamacs bundle, but it seems to be out of date. It looked like the problem might be solved by installing a newer version of TRAMP into Aquamacs. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded TRAMP 2.1.14 from GNU.org.
2. Unpacked it. Duh.
3. ./configure --with-contrib
4. make
5. cp lisp/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/Aquamacs\ Emacs/site-lisp/
6. add (require 'tramp) to ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs\ Emacs/Preferences.el

Yay! C-x C-f /multi:ssh:me@remotehost:sudo:root@localhost:/etc/something/nifty.file works!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whаt's up, its fastidious piece of writing concerning media print, we all understand media is a enormous source of information.
My homepage ... Loans for Bad Credit